Skip to main content
Notre Dame 5 Star University
University Library




What is the New Statutory Licence?

The existing educational statutory licences in Parts VA and VB of the Copyright Act 1968 (Act) will be replaced by one simplified statutory licence (New Statutory Licence).

The New Statutory Licence will provide greater flexibility over what can be negotiated and agreed with Collecting Societies in relation to copying and communications. This includes the copying and communication limits for works.

Who owns the copyright in a work?

The general rule under the Copyright Act is that the first owner of copyright is the creator of the work, or the person responsible for making the sound recording, film, broadcast or published edition. There are, however, important exceptions to this general rule set out in the Copyright Act.

Please see the following Australian Copyright Council Information Sheets for more information:

What is a ‘work’?

A ‘work’ can be defined as the communication or expression of a physical or quantifiable idea. These include textual materials (such as books, journal and newspaper articles), computer programs, artistic, dramatic and musical works (such as plays, photographs, and paintings), films, websites, etc.

  • See the link to "An Introduction to Copyright in Australia" above for more information.