The Benedict XVI Medical Library was named in honour of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI in conjunction with his visit on 18 July 2008. It is one of five Notre Dame Libraries located across Australia that together comprise the University Library.
The Benedict XVI Medical Library is housed in a building which was originally the School of the Sacred Heart. It was constructed in 1880 adjacent to the church, to house up to 500 girls on the upper level and up to 500 boys on the lower level. It was connected to the church by a timber bridge.
The Library supports teaching and research associated with the Sydney Schools of Medicine and Nursing, and collects in the areas of medicine, nursing, the pre-clinical sciences, philosophy, ethics, and theology. At the commencement of 2013 the Benedict XVI Medical Library provided access to more than 5000 print items, 20,000 ebooks, and 70 databases and clinical reference tools.