Skip to main content
Notre Dame 5 Star University
University Library




Attributing Images, Logos and Trademarks

As of the 22nd December 2017, the existing statutory licences in Parts VA and VB of the Copyright Act 1968 will be replaced by one simplified licence (New Statutory Licence).
On this date, the Parts VA and VB statutory licences cease to exist, however, you will continue to be able to copy or communicate work under the New Statutory Licence if the amount is no more than the amount that would have been permitted under Part VB.

Educational institutions that are covered by a remuneration notice with the Copyright Agency are permitted to copy and communicate text, images and notated music subject to certain conditions.

These images can be communicated for teaching purposes in presentations for lectures and uploaded to the Learning Management System (Blackboard), as well as be used for research or study by current staff and students. The amount you can copy from these works isn’t specified in the Copyright Act, but Fair Dealing applies to these and other types of works such as diagrams, artworks, films, TV programs and CDs.

However, you must provide the relevant attribution next to the photograph, or close by (eg on the edge or bottom of the page) if that is too obtrusive.

For more information on the requirements, please see the following:



Retrieved from Britannica Image Quest
(Using standard referencing)
Retrieved from Flickr
(Using Creative Commons Attribution)
Caption   : 1937:  Streetcars in a main thoroughfare in Fremantle, Western Australia  (Photo by Brown/Fox Photos/Getty Images)
Fremantle Street. [Photograph]. Retrieved from Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest.

‘Samuel Wood SHB No 31’  by Don Shearman, Licence at

Finding Creative Commons licensed materials

Sources of CC images

Sound recordings and film/video clips

The Copyright Act contains provisions (sections 103A and 103C) which allow you to copy a small amount of an audio-visual item, including sound recordings and film/video clips, for the purpose of research and study or criticism or review.

You must provide sufficient acknowledgement of the material copied by referring to the title, author, etc. where applicable.

For more information please see the following Australian Copyright Council Information sheets:

Using Copyright Music for Educational Purposes

Industry agreements

Schools and universities have negotiated blanket licence agreements with the music industry collecting societies which permit them to copy sound recordings for use in class and to play at events run by the school or university. They can also make recordings of events that might contain music.


Universities Australia has signed an agreement with APRA-AMCOS, ARIA and PPCA that allows music to be recorded and used in a number of ways. This is known as the ʻUniversities Licenceʼ. Under the Universities Licence, staff and students at eligible universities can:

  • make audio and video recordings for use at university events, of university events and for educational purposes (that is, activities associated with a particular course of study or research). 
  • make audio and video recordings available to students and staff on the university intranet or content management system for streaming or download provided:
    • the relevant material is stored only on the institutions intranet server; and
    • access is username and password protected
  • give free performances of live and recorded music for educational purposes and university events.

All recordings made under the Licence must contain a special notice indicating that the recording has been made under the terms of the Licence and there are limitations on the distribution and sale of the recordings. In addition, some types and uses of music are excluded from the Licence. For example, the Licence does not permit copying recordings for use in, or making recordings of a performance of a grand right work (such as an opera or musical). ​

For more information please see the following:

Activities not Permitted under the Collective Music Licence

The terms of the licence agreement do not include the right to:

  • download any copyright musical works from material made available via the University's Intranet or online teaching systems;
  • reproduce, download, forward or otherwise convey to any other parties all or part of any copyright musical work via the Internet or email systems;
  • reproduce, communicate, transmit or perform an infringing copy of any copyright sound recording (e.g. a sound recording that has been obtained or downloaded illegitimately, and is therefore itself in breach of copyright);
  • reproduce any cinematograph film or any literary, dramatic or artistic work (including the lyrics associated with musical works in graphic form);
  • broadcast any musical work or sound recording;
  • make any unauthorised recordings or video recordings or performances contrary to the Copyright Act;
  • make reproductions of copyright musical works for the sole or dominant purpose of delivering these reproductions either via the Intranet or to the public via the Internet; or make reproductions available to a student or third party for such a Prohibited Use.
  • perform a copyright musical work in public at any event where a fee for entry is charged; or where the University's premises have been let for hire or otherwise to a third party (including a student group) other than for the educational purpose of the University.