Skip to Main Content
Notre Dame 5 Star University
University Library




Copyright and legal re-use

Contains information on using (and re-using) material that isn't your own, and the limits that apply to this use.


Images and music
The University is covered by a remuneration notice with the Copyright Agency that permits the copying and communication of text, images and notated music subject to certain conditions.

These images can be communicated for teaching purposes in presentations for lectures and uploaded to the Learning Management System (Blackboard), as well as be used for research or study by current staff and students. The amount you can copy from these works isn’t specified in the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), but Fair Dealing applies to these and other types of works such as diagrams, artworks, films, TV programs and CDs.

However, you must provide the relevant attribution or reference next to the photograph, or close by (eg on the edge or bottom of the page) if that is too obtrusive.

Audio visual recordings
The University is covered by an agreement with APRA-AMCOS, ARIA and PPCA that allows music to be recorded and used in a number of ways. This is known as the ʻUniversities Licenceʼ.

Activities covered by the agreement include making audio and video recordings for use at university events, of university events and for educational purposes (that is, activities associated with a particular course of study or research) and making music available via a password-protected and login protected intranet site. Some music is excluded from the licence, and there are conditions for some of the uses.

All recordings made under the Licence must contain a special notice indicating that the recording has been made under the terms of the Licence and there are limitations on the distribution and sale of the recordings. In addition, some types and uses of music are excluded from the Licence. For example, the Licence does not permit copying recordings for use in, or making recordings of a performance of a grand right work (such as an opera or musical). ​

More information

For specific information on what you can use, please see the webpages located within this Images, music and video content tab. Links to more information are listed below: